Wednesday 11 February 2015

Boxes, boxes everywhere...

After moving house in the last two weeks I have begun to romanticise our little square friends a bit, where would be without the humble box? Alas despite being an avid collector and dealer, I was unable to move my belongings using entirley period boxes, (sometimes cardboard ones are just as useful), but it got me thinking, what is our love affair with boxes?

One of the first antique pieces I let me daughter play with was a heavily carved box and she adored it, at under one it was also one of the safest objects for to begin her antiques journey on. As adults do we love them because we can always find something to put in them, whatever size or shape, making them a utilitarian part of modern living?

Or is it still the childhood joy of opening an unknown box hoping to find treasure inside...

Certainly there must have been many finds in boxes that have ended up on the antiques roadshow, one of my favourite conversations has been with a dealer who 'found' a Charles Horner brooch lurking in a box brought from an auction house.

One of my favourite eBay searches is a simple 'box' in the antiques section, here are some of my favourites from the newly listed...

Straw Work POW Napoleonic Box

A secret sliding drawer? Right up my street, shame about the missing drawer but considering its age, and the fact it is made from straw, a nice example.

Pine Medical Box

A few drawers for all your bits and bobs.

Travelling Mirror

Just what every self respecting individual needs, a travelling mirror.





No comments:

Post a Comment